Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Balancing Act

Last night I had an epiphany.

It was formulated by several entities.  1) I was finally myself again after my 3rd bout of Strep Throat in 3 months.  I know!  I'm a walking infirmary.  2) While sick in bed Friday, I'd surfed Blogger for teaching blogs.  Yep, I'm a teacher (hence the Strep).  3) Also while sick in bed, I finally watched Julie and Julia for the 1st time.  It's amazing the things you can accomplish when you don't have to walk The Balancing Act tightrope.  And, finally, 4) I've been walking around with 25 ugly, unwanted pounds for the past 1 1/2 years.

I think by now you've probably realized my epiphany - "I'm going to create a weight loss blog."  (I'm not very innovative.)

While this is not a universal, creative breakthrough, it is for me.  I tend to shy away from computers and cuddle up with books.  Like I said, I'm a teacher.  A 6th grade Reading/Language Arts teacher.  I started teaching 3 1/2 years ago.  After marrying my husband, Chad, in 2000 and having our two beautiful daughters within 3 years, I knew that I wanted to go back to school to be a teacher.  So, two months before my 30th birthday, I began my first teaching job.

Before and after our daughters were born, my husband and I were sluggish chain smokers.  Yet, in 2005, we decided that we were going to Adventure Race.  Each of us worked out like demons and slimmed down fairly quickly.  Our piece de resistance - a 24 hour Adventure Race through hilly Wisconsin.  When I began teaching, I was a sleek 145 lbs.  I had a wonderful family, a new career, and a smokin' body.  Things were good!

Well, for those of you out there juggling The Balancing Act, you know what's happened since then.  My family's been through some trials and tribulations, but we're now stronger than ever.  I wanted to cry almost every day of my first year of teaching, but now I love my job, kids, and teaching philosophy.  As for my body, it's not so hot.  I've been riding the weight-loss roller coaster for the past 3 years, and I'm starting to turn green from motion sickness.  It's time to get off this hell ride.

Hopefully, for those of you out there in the same boat as Chad and I, you'll laugh and cry with us on this journey.  I'm going to figure out my goals and post them soon.  I want to put a little more thought into what I want them to be so that The Balancing Act isn't lopsided this time.  So here's to a smoother ride and a stable mind (unfortunately, due to calories, with less wine than I'd like)... Cheers!!!

172 lbs,
Cortny

4 comments:

  1. Cort, I needed this. I was seriously considering canceling my weight watchers membership. I think with a little solidarity I can find my motivation again. Thanks, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can, Jen! I'm embracing my 30s and realizing that it's going to take different avenues to be successful. I mean this in every sense of success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cort-you are truly an inspiration. I feel like I just can't change, but reading your blogs is certainly helpful. Each year losing the weight seems more difficult. You know I have a love affair with food as well as stress. I guess they go hand in hand. I am excited to watch both of your journeys! Give me all your tips! :)

    Right now, I will reject the butterfingers in the fridge...

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I tried to post a comment already, but apparently I'm technologically challenged.

    Anyway, I wanted to tell you that you are an inspiration. I feel as though I can never change my body, but it's great to see your progress. After reading your posts, I've just rejected eating an entire frozen pizza. It's scary because I'm NOT exaggerating. Thanks for sharing. Love you!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete